Payment Options

Payment Options

We accept Cash or Cheque.

We also accept eTransfers sent to

Payment must be received by the last day of the month or 1.25% interest will be applied.

How to set-up a Pre-Authorized Account:

Step One: Print Pre-Authorized Form for Taxes OR Print Pre-Authorized Form for Utility.

Step Two: Fill out Pre-Authorized Form

Step Three: Attach VOID cheque or Bank Form (includes your Bank information, account information)

Step Four: Please mail or bring into the RM of Victoria Office 


Have you set up paying directly from your Bank/Credit Union to the RM of Victoria?

If you have NOT- please visit your Bank/Credit Union to attach this onto your online paying options.

Quick Link Options:

Sunrise Credit Union



Royal Bank

Caisse Populaire

Westoba Credit Union

Scotia Bank

Change of Ownership / Change of Address 

The Rural Municipality of Victoria administrative offices must be advised promptly of any change of ownership or mailing address in order to ensure that the tax invoice is properly forwarded. If you have received a Tax Notice and the property to which it relates has been sold, please ensure that the Notice is forwarded to the new property owners, or return it to the Municipal Office for proper addressing.

Missed Receiving a Tax Bill 

Failure to receive an invoice does not excuse responsibility for payment of taxes nor relieve the owner from liability for any late payment penalty. For further information regarding your taxes (excluding school taxes), please telephone, write or email the Rural Municipality of Victoria. When making an inquiry about your statement, please quote the Roll Number that appears on the top right hand corner of your statement. If your inquiry pertains to school taxes, please contact your school division.

The Rural Municipality of Victoria,

130 Broadway Street,
P.O. Box 40,
Holland, Manitoba R0G 0X0
Ph# (204)526-2423