In May of 2009, The RM of Victoria was selected to participate in the third round of the Age-Friendly Manitoba Initiative. Following the one day orientation, community consultation meetings were hosted in Holland and Cypress River. From there, an age-friendly committee was established and the work began.
- Debbie Drummond, M.I.L.E.S. For Seniors, Inc.
RM of Victoria Representative:
- Harold Purkess, Reeve
Tiger Hills Recreation Representative:
- Holly Stanton, Recreation Director
- Gerald Grift
- Cypress River Community Representatives:
- Theresa Morrison
- Bonnie Johnson
Holland Community Representatives:
- Carol Kilfoyle
- Allan Steinke
- Colleen Steinke
What is an Age-Friendly Community?
An age-friendly community:
- Recognizes the diversity among older Manitobans
- Encourages healthy, active aging
- Supports the contributions of older Manitobans
- Promotes the participation of older Manitobans in all aspects of our community
- Engages stakeholders in building age-friendly communities
- Creates accessible, safe environments for older adults
- Treats people of all ages with respect
- Secure neighborhoods are safe for children, women and older adults.
- Older adults receive services and supports they need.
- Barrier-free buildings and streets enhance the mobility for people of all abilities, and all ages.
- The whole community benefits from the participation of older persons in volunteer or paid work and civic activities.
For more information on this initiative, please visit the Government of MB.
or contact the M.I.L.E.S. Office at email@example.com